Friday, May 18, 2012

Unconditional

Life as of late has been a new adventure. I am learning how to be a mother. I am learning how to balance being a wife and being a mother at the same time. I am learning how to take control when things get out of control (a.k.a.-every possible area on a child that could expel anything, does. LOL) Most of all, I am learning how to have unconditional love.

For me, unconditional love is hard to give. I get angry when people don't follow the rules of the road. I get angry when people treat others unfairly. And the list goes on. So, for me, to show someone love, no matter what they say or do, is not something that comes naturally. However, loving my child unconditionally, so far, has proven to be the easiest thing on earth. There is nothing that compares to the love you have for your child. There is something magical about it. Maybe it has to do with the fact that a single human being (or 2 or 20, depending on how many children you have) possesses both yourself and the one person on earth who is your best friend, your soul mate, the source of your passion, etc.) Two people, combined together to create one person. It's phenomenal. My minuscule little mind cannot always grasp this concept. All I know is, I love my child like I have never loved anyone before. In fact, I have to be cautious that I do not put him above my husband (but that is another topic for another day). 


 Loving my son comes naturally. It's easy. And for now, he loves me back. It's easy to have unconditional love for someone like this. It's easy to love someone who loves you in return. But how easy is it to love someone who hates you? Not very. Well let's not even go that far with it. Let's just ask ourselves: how easy is it to love someone you don't know? Still the answer is the same. Not very. 


Something my child is helping me learn, is how to do this. How to love someone when they don't love you back. How to even love someone who is unlovable. If I can have this kind of love for my child, then I know I am capable. Because the truth is, my child is not perfect. Even at this young age he messes up. He spits up on my nice outfit. He screams when everyone is being quiet. And although these are small things in comparison to the larger things we have to encounter with others, it's a small step in the direction of learning.  


I thank the God I serve for this blessing in my life. I pray I never take him for granted. He is a gift. And I love him. Unconditionally.

2 comments: